Losing weight is something that millions of women struggle with everyday.
It doesn’t matter their race, ethnicity, body type, age, etc…most women have struggled with losing the weight they want to lose.
What if I told you that there is a very simple way to lose weight? And that this weight loss method is something that you already do every single day of your life? What if I told you that no matter how old you are or what your fitness level is, that this method can and will work for you?
What is this easy yet effective way to lose weight, you ask? None other than…..Walking!
Most of you are probably thinking, “Ummm walking? That sounds too easy.”
I agree, it sounds too good to be true, but I promise you it’s not and I’m here to tell you exactly how walking will help you lose weight.
I’m going to break down for you physiologically how walking can help you shed those unwanted pounds and share the benefits of walking for women who are already happy with their current weight.
So let’s get into the science of how walking can be a great addition to your fitness routine for weight loss.
Walking is a form of cardio called Low Intensity Steady State (LISS for short). This form of cardio consists of exercising at a lower level of intensity and keeping a steady pace for the entire duration of the workout. These workouts are typically done in 30-60 min sessions.
When you are working at a lower intensity, you don’t use glycogen stores to fuel your workout. You use fat stores instead!
This means that for the 30-60 mins you are walking, the calories you burn are mainly calories from fat!
If your goals are to lose fat, this is an amazingly simple way to kick start burning that unwanted body fat.
Now you may be wondering…”How do I know if I’m walking at a speed that is considered low intensity?”
Let me tell you about a fool proof way that anyone can make sure they are in this fat-burning zone!
You want to be at about 60-70% of your heart rate max for the duration of your workout. The heart rate max is about how high your heart rate should be when you are working out as hard as you possible can.
Step 1: Find your heart rate max (HRM).
- HRM= 220 – your age
Step 2: Find your heart rate for the fat burning zone.
- Fat-burning zone= (220 – age) x (.6-.7)
- I’m 23 years old.
- My HRM= (220 – 23) = 197 HRM.
- My Fat-burning zone = (197 x.6) and (197 x .7)
- My Fat-burning zone HR is 118- 138 beats per min
Once you know your target heart rate, you can adjust the speed and incline of your walk till you hit your target heart rate and stay there for the rest of the workout.
Now that we have all that scientific stuff out of the way, lets talk about why walking is good for so many other things unrelated to fat loss.
Walking Improves Mood!
- Going for a walk for as little as 10 minutes a day can improve your mood by releasing endorphins. These are feel good chemicals your brain releases when you exercise and can help you feel good for the rest of the day!
Walking Improves Circulation!
- Walking gets your blood flowing. This increase in circulation helps the body get rid of toxins which can help improve your immune system and can even help the appearance of cellulite!
Walking Increases Bone Mineral Density!
- Walking involves impact which increases the mineral density of bones. This prevents things like osteoporosis which can lead to more easily broken bones as people get older. This is especially a problem for older women. Walking along with a high calcium diet can prevent this down the line.
Walking Makes Your Heart Stronger!
- The leading cause of death in the United States is heart disease. Walking often is an easy way to make your heart stronger by getting your heart rate up. It lowers your risk for high blood pressure and strokes.
The great thing about walking is you can do it anywhere!
To avoid injury, make sure you have good shoes with the right type of support. These are my favorite shoes! They are cross trainers so you can use them for any form of exercise.
Whether it be in your neighborhood or on a treadmill at the gym, anyone can go for a walk!
Now that you know how great walking is for fat loss among many other benefits, get your walking shoes on and get out there today!
Your body and mind will thank you.
This post contains affiliate links but all opinions and recommendations are 100% honest and my own.